chicken curry


 After last weekend's grocery shopping trip, I realized I might need to put some thought into our weekday meals.
And when I was cooking this chicken curry, I realized I might want to be thinking about the actual cooking of the chicken curry.
Otherwise I could end up with four times the amount of cumin that I intended.
After I had already sauteed onions and garlic.
And bothered to use the miniprep to mince them.
And the mini prep was now in the dishwasher. full of soap.
just a hypothetical of course.


If you per chance, have made a mistake like this, don't fret.
Simply discard said over cuminized onions. 
Blast some chaka khan.
And start once again.
Nothing lost, nothing gained.


 At times, I just have too many thoughts racing around my brain.
Other times, there probably isn't enough going on upstairs.


But no matter what level of brain activity, I always enjoy cooking something to calm my nerves, soothe my soul and fill my tummy.
Even if it takes two attempts.


Especially when it's nice and spicy!

Recipe: Chicken Curry (adapted Real Simple)


Ingredients:
1 can (14.5 oz), diced tomatoes, juice drained
1 small yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, grated
2 tsps canola oil
1 cup greek yogurt
3/4 cup ff half and half
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 1/4 tsps curry powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 lb chicken tenders, diced

Method:
-preheat oven to 350, line baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray
-mix 1/2 cup greek yogurt with 1/2 tsp curry powder, 1/4 tsp each garam masala, cumin, coriander and cayenne pepper. add diced chicken to yogurt mixture. stir to coat completely.
-add chicken to foil-lined pan, bake for 18-20 minutes
-warm a large skillet, add canola oil
-add diced onion and garlic, stir occasionally till soft, 5-7 minutes
-to onion mixture: add 2 tsps curry powder, salt, pepper and 1/4 tsp each garam masala, cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper and brown sugar. stir to coat, let cook 2-3 minutes.
-add yogurt, ff half and half and tomatoes
-bring mixture up to a simmer, let cook an additional 10 minutes
-add cooked chicken
-let all cook together an additional 10 minutes
-serve with basmati rice

Comments

  1. Can almost smell the curry sauce~ yum!
    I add some pineapple chunks on my curry sometimes!

    Thanks Jesse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i added some brown sugar to sweeten it up a bit, but pineapple would have been even better. I'll definitely try that next time:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. my husband ADORES chicken curry--can't wait to try this one out. Not sure if our neighbors will enjoy the curry smell as much as I will ;) xoxo {av}

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment