language



the pediatrician thinks i'm a liar. atticus had his 18-month check up complete with zero shots, dozens of pages of questionnaires and a fancy digital scale. now if only they could measure the height a little more accurately. each visit, the nurse's original measurements show atticus shrinking by a few inches till three adults pin him down and discover he in fact still growing. but this isn't what the pediatrician thinks i'm lying about. she thinks i'm lying about how much this kid has to say. i filled out the endless questionnaire while nelson kept atty entertained, without our phones or food in a freezing room with only old copies of highlights to distract him. after the typical "so have you taken him out of the country?  has he been to the ER?" questions, the doctor asked, "so do you think he knows 8-10 words?" before i could even attempt to filter myself, i said, "um he knows hundreds of words." the doctor raised just raised her eyebrows. i think i should send her the below transcript as further proof.

rough transcript of last night {rocking and talking in his room before bedtime}:

me: "i hope you had a nice day atticus, i missed you while i was at work. what did you do today?"
atticus: "abus!" {this is the word for grandparents in spanish, they came over to watch him}
me: "oh yes, abus came over! that must have been fun, what did you do with abus?"
atticus: "park, swings! walk"
me: "oh that is nice, i'm so happy abus can come over and spend time with you, they love you so much"
atticus: "abus" {hugs his stuffed monkey as his says abus}
me: "and then what? mommy came home from work and we had dinner and"
atticus: "H! H!" {I have a honda and atticus loves to go see the big H on it as soon as I get home from work}
me: "yes, we saw the H. what sound does the H make?"
atticus: "haaa haaa haa"
me: "very good. what else did we do?"
atticus: "fortune?"
me: "yes, we watched wheel of fortune and saw all the letters."
atticus: "letters"
me: "alright, it's time for night night now. what are we going to do tomorrow? what should we have for breakfast?"
atticus: "waffles? juice!!"
me: "hmmm i was thinking we could have french toast tomorrow"
atticus: "cinnamon? meg? spray!" {meg is nutmeg, spray is the cooking spray we use to make french toast}
me: "yes, you're right, we do need cinnamon and nutmeg for french toasties"
atticus: "toasties!"
me: "okay, have wonderful sleep and sweet dreams"
atticus: "bed. sleepies" {puts his head down on my shoulder}
me: "i love you very much and i'll see you in the morning"
atticus:"love you" {does the sign language for love you as well because he learned that first. this is one of the first times he's said love you out loud}
me: "ohhhhhhh" {a million mama hugs and kisses}




Comments

  1. That boy knows thousands of words Jessica. He might not say them all, although he does say alot, but he KNOWS many more than he says!! I am not objective, but I personally think he is a very smart young man! And blessed with wonderful parents too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cuteness abounds. So cute!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment