i love pesto.
i could eat it with a spoon at 2 a.m. and be perfectly happy.
i have done that.
but pesto is actually even better tossed with pasta.
and a little roasted tofu makes you not go back for a third serving.
instead you just eat some out of the serving bowl.
because that doesn't count.
Recipe: Angel Hair Pesto With Roasted Tofu
1 block extra firm tofu
2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp lemon sea salt
1/2 cup olive oil
big bunch basil (35 leaves or so)
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
100 calorie pack sea salt almonds
1/2 box barilla plus angel hair, cooked
1/2 cup pasta water
1. drain and press tofu at least 30 minutes, cut into cubes
2. preheat oven to 350
3. coat pan with cooking spray, add cubed tofu
4. toss tofu with 2 tbsp olive oil, dried basil and lemon salt
5. roast tofu for 30-40 minutes, tossing every 10 minutes
6. add fresh basil and almonds to blender or food processor, blend until chunky
7. stream in olive oil with blender or food processor on till desired consistency
8. remove pesto, stir in parmesan cheese
9. cook pasta according to directions, reserve 1/2 cup pasta water before draining
10. add pasta and roasted tofu to a large bowl, add 1/2 the pesto, mix, add half the pasta water, mix again and repeat till all pasta and tofu are evenly coated with pesto.
12. serve with additional parmesan cheese
11. this is even better served cold the next day