carrot oatmeal cookies with sea salt


i think these are probably my best cookie experiment yet. 
cookies, and really sweets for that matter are much more difficult to experiment with then savory foods.
baking is really science and science and i, mehhh. we're not bffs.
chemistry and i specifically had many difference of opinions, namely over if i was going to excel in chemistry. 
i still think my teacher may have thrown me a bone in that class.

laziness is a part of my life.
i believe in the principle of work smarter, not harder than necessary.
if that translates to laziness, than so be it.
i believe in waiting for the tea kettle to screech that it's finished while laying on the couch.
i refuse to get up and check it. over. and over. and over again.
 i like recipes with the word simmer. simma
simmer to me means, again, i can lay on my big old butt and let something cook and not babysit it.
i believe in wearing dresses over pants, ironing is pointless.
and my ass looks like a suitcase in pants.

but back to these delicious and relatively healthy cookies, you can be totally lazy and still make them in less than an hour.
i didn't even have to go to the grocery store.


isn't the orange just lovely?
i still want the orange hunter rain boots if anyone is curious....
or generous.


the usual cookie ingredients along with a few new friends to healthify these cookies up a bit.


that sprinkle of sea salt really makes the cookies.
it makes you want to eat about 4 in a row.
and you can, with little guilt.
oh and sea salt is trendy.
i know you love to be trendy.
convinced yet?

Recipe: Carrot Oatmeal Cookies With Sea Salt

Ingredients:
1/2 cup grated carrot
1/2 cup oatmeal
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 egg
1 tbsp canola oil
1/2 cup organic sugar
1 tbsp flax seed
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp sea salt, plus more for sprinkling

Method:
mix canola oil and sugar, add egg and vanilla, beat until smooth
in another bowl, mix flour, flax, salt, spices and baking soda
add dry ingredients to wet, mix just until incorporated
add grated carrot and oatmeal to dough, don't over mix
preheat oven to 350
refrigerate dough for 30 minutes
make tablespoon-sized balls of dough, place on cooking-sprayed cookie sheets
sprinkle cookies with additional sea salt
bake 10 minutes, rotating pans at 5 minutes

Comments

  1. Love everything about this post! Simma?!! (I'm smiling still) You speak my language.

    Oh, and to tell you something you already know-- THESE LOOK GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of these kinds of cookies, and yet it sounds so yummy! Love that they are "relatively" healthy. I always think I'm being healthy when I reach for oatmeal cookies ;)

    Hope you are having a wonderful week, Love!
    B.

    That Girl in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy, I must try that. I like anything with oatmeal. Have you tried flapjacks?
    http://pencilandbox.blogspot.com/2010/12/flapjacks.html
    I love carrots too. And there is plenty of seasalt where I live :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum, it reminds me of a carrot cake cookie! that is a beautiful pile of orange-ness :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting recipe~
    luv salty & sweet combo, Jesse!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment