vegan banana bread just like no one in my family used to make


The mixing and mashing of familiar ingredients as the smell of coffee brews in the early kitchen light can feel as comforting as a hug from mom; especially when a harried weekend is scrawled on the dry erase board in your own serial killer script. I wish I could tell you that was the scene as I made this bread....


You might say this particular banana bread was stirred together in a bit more haste as I begged boys to eat lunch (yogurt, apple slices and ritz crackers are lunch, right?), tripped over trains and marbles alike as Sol sprinted around the house in my winter boots and I flossed and applied a new skin care regime.


That particular Saturday I had taken a solo morning trip to target which was as picturesque as you can imagine .... sun shining ..... birds chirping ..... hot starbucks lovingly in hand...... no one talking to me.......you know, the dream. As I searched for and did not find the perfect organization system for ALL the train and marble tracks (read: santa and the grandparents went a wee bit overboard this hoidaze season), I also mentally checked off all the ingredients for banana bread for a play date with one of Atticus' dear friends, who happens to be vegan.


I planned to take my standard banana bread recipe and sub out a couple of items and call it an afternoon. Of course before I could even get started Atticus quickly pointed out, "Mom, you forgot to get almond milk." After heavy debate ("Mom, water will not work in banana bread!") and scouring the back of coffee creamer bottles only to find "contains a milk derivative," we decided cider was the only alternative.


The cider added a nice warm fall flavor but also kept the bread incredibly moist. And yes, I still hate the word moist but there you have it. The bread had a crumb to its humble top plus a soft inside perfect for an afternoon nap. Most importantly, it was rather delightful to see our little guest gobble up two pieces. I was even able to convince her mom to take a couple slices home for later, you know, for her husband I said, as I winked at our new friend.

Vegan Banana Bread:
1.5 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsps baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup olive oil
1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax mixed with 2.5 tbsp water, let sit till thickened, about 5 minutes)
1/3 cup apple cider
1.5 cups mashed ripe bananas

Mix dry first five ingredients and set aside. Mix together flax and water, set aside for 5 minutes. Add oil, cider, flax egg and banana to dry ingredients. Pour into prepared baking pan and make for 45-50 minutes at 350.

Comments