fish tacos


i have only made fish once in my entire life.
it was salmon with honey and mustard and it was a flop.
maybe the honey to mustard ratio was off, maybe i cooked it improperly or maybe the cut of salmon was just bupkiss.
either way, after the salmon incident i retired my fish cooking hat.
until i wanted to make fish tacos.


while eating at the always delicious la caraquena with my parents last weekend, leeann told me that trader joes frozen tilapia is frozen at its peak freshness thus negating the gross aspects of frozen fish.


i was still a tad hesitant, but i persevered with the help of panko bread crumbs and kashi fire roasted veggie crackers.


they both helped ensure a flaky and flavorful crust on the tilapia, along with a few spices of course.


a generous helping of homemade slaw was necessary to the fish tacos.


don't forget the warmed corn tortillas.
again, necessary.


and a variety of other toppings, i bet you can see some black beans in there, and cilantro and salsa too.
but they weren't there for long, gobbled in no time.
nelson's highest compliment to date, "these are like rockaway taco."
that man must really love me.
or else he really loves these fish tacos.
either way, a successful meal and marriage.

Recipe: Fish Tacos

Ingredients:
1 lb tilapia (i used frozen from tjs, thaw overnight in the fridge)
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
15 fire roasted kashi crackers
2 limes
2 tbsp orange mango juice
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flake
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
tortillas (warm them, wrapped in foil for 2 minutes in the oven)
salsa
black bean dip (very similar to this sans the greek yogurt bc i forgot)
slaw
more limes
more cilantro

Method:
preheat oven to 350
cut tilapia into one inch cubes
mix zest and juice of 1 lime, orange mango juice, 1/4 tsp each red pepper flake, cumin and cayenne pepper
grind cracker and panko together
dip fish pieces into juice mixture then coat in bread cumb/cracker mixture
place crumbed tilapia on foiled pan coated with cooking spray
repeat with all pieces, coat top of fish with a little more cooking spray
bake fish for 10-12 minutes or until flaky

Assemble:
take one tortilla and slather with bean dip, top with fish, slaw, salsa, cilantro and extra lime.
oh and sirachai if you dare!

Recipe: Slaw
Ingredients
3-4 servings green cabbage
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1 lime, zest and juice
1/4 tsp cumin
dash salt and pepper

Method:
mix all ingredients and let marinate in the fridge at least one hour

Comments

  1. I need those fish tacos in my life. And love the idea of mixing crackers w/ panko! Also really good with a little parmesan cheese mixed in.
    PS- I just used Giant brand apple cider vinegar today to make a salad dressing... do you live in PA too??

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a fish tacos place that I frequent a lot in my neighborhood! Should try making it myself one day, Jesse. With cold Corona beer~ YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yum! i loove fish tacos, but i've never made them at home. must try!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I wiil like to have a fish taco myself. There is Mexican restaurant not too far away but I'll have to check if they do fish tacos. I can always show them the recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to try these. Did you wait for the fish to thaw out first?

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look great. I like making my own breadcrumbs too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog and I'm loving it! I'm a newly wed (aka: new to cooking) And your blog has inspired soooo many ideas for me. I know my husband would love this recipe. I'm so excited to try it

    pics-o-andrea

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment