ny times chocolate chip cookies


by this time in your life you must have heard of the ny times chocolate chip cookie recipe.
this recipe supposedly makes the best chocolate chip cookies.
the basis of this glory has a lot to do with using the best 24 hour method.
aka, the longest you've waited for chocolate chip cookies.
believe me when i tell you, these are worth the wait.



if you're a sweet lover, you made your share of chocolate chip cookies.
i've made many peoples share of chocolate chip cookies in my day.
i've used oil, i've used shortening, i've used melted butter, i've used softened butter.


i've added oatmeal, i've added whole wheat flour.
i've added more vanilla, i've added less less vanilla.
the cookies have been doughy, flat, chewy, cakey and everything in between.
my conclusion from all that is there are way too many recipes for chocolate chip cookies.



especially because this recipe is everything you want in a chocolate chip cookie.
these are chewy and soft in the center, with slightly crispy edges and oh so chocolatey in every bite.
i made a few modifications, i used only one kind of flour.
and added more vanilla.
i like a strong vanilla flava to my chocolate chip cookies. 


oh and i forgot the sprinkle of sea salt, which i've heard can be essential.
since i will be making these again soon, i can report back on the essentialness of the sea salt.

the one thing that remains essential to fully enjoy these cookies is milk.


but most of all you need elastic waist pants. of course.

Recipe: NY Times Chocolate Chip Cookies (slightly adapted)
Ingredients:
3 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
2 1/2 sticks (1 1/4 cups) unsalted butter, very soft
1 1/4 cups light brown sugar
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (8 ounces) granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 bag semisweet chocolate chips

Method:
-in a large bowl: cream butter and sugars, 5 minutes until light and fluffy
-add vanilla and eggs, one at a time
-in another bowl: mix all dry ingredients
-add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in batches, do not over mix
-fold in chocolate chips
-refrigerate dough 24 hours
-preheat oven to 350
-make tablespoon-sized cookies into balls and place on parchment-lined cookie sheets
-bake 9-10 minutes, rotating pans half way through cooking
-enjoy right out of the oven, cooled or days later (to keep cookies soft, place in a sealed container with a slice of bread).
-makes about 6 dozen cookies


Comments

  1. These are THE BEST.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard so many good things about these cookies. Why in the world am I waiting so long to make them? I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your cookies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why have I never heard of these cookies!?!? They look so great I need to jump on the bandwagon! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geez! I'm making this tonight! (Sadly, sans the sea salt but that won't stop me!) Talk about powers of persuasion.

    Too bad I have no willpower and can't wait 'til I make these. In the meantime, you just reminded me that I have some chewy Chips Ahoy in the kitchen. I'm going to meditate on those while I blog travel for a bit :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and by the way, just from this post, I had to follow you. See? Powers of persuasion :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're killing me with all these cookie recipes. I'll have to try adding more vanilla to my own recipes. I've never thought to do so and I'm a huge vanilla fan. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jesse- I'm skeptical. Why would you have to refrigerate the dough for 24 hours? That is torture. What would time do to a cookie?

    Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  8. @loretta: the chilling of the dough really helps meld the flavors together, and gives the cookies a more rich flavor. i've also heard it helps relax the dough a bit, you know, because the dough is so stressed:) truthfully, i'm sure the cookies would still be tasty without the chilling:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO glad you posted this! I have never heard of this recipe (maybe my head has been under a rock...?) so I am making these asap! I just LOVE your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment