mushroom encrusted steak.

Nelzo takes fantastic pictures.
clearly.
Staring at this now makes me realize I could never be a vegetarian.
or a photographer for that matter.


But first things first, a side note.
I'm going to change up the format of the blog a bit.
Just a couple of picture(s).
Recipe at the end with all the steps.
I'm anticipating this will be much easier to follow.
And maybe, I'll even keep up with the blog!

Ok, back to the mushroom encrusted steak.
I read about this one eat, live, run and it sounded so delicious that I had to make it that night.
Even though I worked till after 7pm, had none of the ingredients at home, had never made steak before (let alone filet mignon) and didn't even know where to purchase dried mushrooms. 
But that was ok, nothing was going to stop me.

Why you ask?
Oh because Nelzo is a total steak snob and will only buy steaks from whole foods or let's meat and those are so beyond perfect that even a virgin steakette like me couldn't mess them up.

 
see? puuurtty meat.

But still you need these:

 

ground up like this:


roll those beauties in every morsel of these mushrooms:

 

and saute on high heat with budda, a few minutes each side:


into the oven at 400 for 10-15 minutes depending on your rareness quotient.
let meat rest for 5 minutes.

So this is where I'd normally type the recipe, but well, that's pretty much it.
alright, alright, for argument's sake.

Recipe: Mushroom-Encrusted Steak

Ingredients:
2 filet mignons
6 oz dried mushrooms (I used portabellas, can be found at whole foods or equally yuppified grocery store)
salt
pepper
butter
an audacious spirit

Method:
-preheat oven to 400
-put mushrooms in miniprep/food processor/blender, grind until very fine, will be dusty.
-liberally salt and pepper lovely filets
-coat (using all of the mushrooms) steaks on all sides
-warm skillet to med-high heat, add 1 tablespoon budda
-place steaks in pan to sear, don't move for 2 minutes. Flip to sear bottom of steak. Sear sides around filets for about 30 seconds per side. 
-turn off heat on pan (a good tip!)
-place steaks in baking pan and into the oven for about 10-15 minutes. 
-i cooked ours about 12 minutes and they were v. medium-medium on the outer sides (nelzo choice) and more medium-rare in the center (my choice)
-let steaks sit for 5 minutes on the counter before devouring
-tell me you love me.

*disclaimer: the rest of the pics are poop because i took them*

Comments

  1. i want a steak! this looks so good and not too many steps or ingredients. Great pic Nelson!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment