sausage and olives with angel hair


every afternoon nelson and i have a similar chat.
how's your day going? you busy? did you get lunch? can you believe this weather? i love you. awww shmoopy. so what are you in the mood to eat for dinner?
this usually halts the conversation.
poor nelson, i am thinking about food around the clock and he, like most normal people, has other things on his mind occasionally.
i usually have some sort of idea in mind, which 9 times out of 10 he is willing to indulge in each night.
i like to come up with dinner options, but sometimes i feel like the dictator.
you will eat my hippy food!
tonight we're having avocado fries so deal!
i can't even think about cooking, bring me the bell!
since my little general complex was in full force i was pleased as punch at nelson's suggestion of olives to my already suggested decided angel hair and sausage.

oh kalamata olives in extra virgin olive oil you are a godsend to my salt love.
before i began cooking at least half-a-dozen olives were consumed.
strictly, for testing purposes of course.
i will have to make the feta-olive stuffed chicken again soon....

but last night included sweet basil pesto turkey and chicken sausage.
yes, basil love in full force.
i hid the evidence and didn't say the word basil once during dinner and mr. c was never the wiser.
hee hee.


this mediterrean style pasta dish came together in about 30 minutes.
perfect for a week night meal or if you're like me, very impatient and hungry most of the time.

Recipe: Sausage and Olives With Angel Hair

Ingredients:
-2 sausage links (I used turkey and chicken basil sausages)
-25 olives
-1/4 onion, minced
-2 tsp olive oil
-2 cups your favorite tomato sauce
-1/4 tsp each: dried parsley, oregano and red pepper flake
-3 servings angel hair (I used barilla plus)
-handful of spinach (optional)

Method:
-warm a skillet to medium heat with olive oil
-remove sausage from casing and add to pan, break up with wooden spoon
-let sausage cook 5-7 minutes
-add minced onion and spices, stir to combine
-let sausage and onion cook together 10 minutes
-cook pasta according to directions, reserve 1 cup of pasta water
-add sauce to sausage and onions, raise heat and let simmer for 10 minutes
-add cooked pasta and past water, stir to evenly coat pasta
-serve under a bed of fresh spinach and top with grated cheese

Comments

  1. Yum! Pasta is one of the few things I know how to make and this looks so good to me. Problem is, my hubby is such a picky eater that if he deems it unhealthy, he looks at me as if I'm crazy for making it. (He's the main cook in our household so when I do make something, he expects it to be done HIS way)

    What I can do though is cook a separate pan for the sausage and another separate pan for his super-lean (dry!!) turkey and just mix in the other ingredients. Can't wait to make it next week!

    I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good! Yum! My hubs would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jesse - Yum. Love angel hair pasta and how quick it cooks!

    Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  4. @marjorie: that barilla plus pasta is actually pretty healthy; boasts a decent about of fiber and protein -- definitely give it a try!
    also, the sausage is chicken/turkey sausage so much lower in fat than your typical sausage:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious. I'm craving pasta now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment